Ingredients (serves 4-6 persons)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
½ teaspoon mustard seeds
½ teaspoon asafetida
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
1 fresh, hot green chili pepper, minced
1 medium sized cinnamon stick
2 bay leaves
2 tablespoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 tablespoon chana masala
1 teaspoon chat masala/amchoor
1 cup crushed tomatoes/tomato paste
4 cups boiled garbanzo/chick peas
Salt to taste
2/3 cup water
Fresh Cilantro (for garnishing, optional)
1. Heat oil in a large skillet.
2. Add asafetida, bay leaves, ginger, chili & cinnamon and sauté over a medium heat until browned (3-5 minutes).Turn heat to medium-low.
3. Add the coriander, cumin, turmeric and chana masala. Stir for a few seconds.
4. Add the tomato paste/crushed tomatoes. Cook the tomatoes until browned lightly.
5. Add chickpeas and a cup of water and stir.
6. Add the amchoor, salt and lemon juice.
7. Cook covered for 10 minutes.
8. Remove the cover and garnish with cilantro.