• PREPARATION & COOKING TIME: 1 hour
• YIELD: Enough for 4 or 5 persons
• vegetable oil for baking
• 2 large baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 1/2 cm (1-inch) cubes
• 2 large eggplants, cut into 2 1/2 cm (1-inch) cubes
• 1 block firm tofu, cut into cubes
- 2 ripe plantain, peeled and cut into 1-inch spears
• 1 tablespoon (20 ml) vegetable oil
• 2 teaspoons (10 ml) cumin seeds
• 1 teaspoon (5 ml) crushed dried red chilies
• 1/2 teaspoon (2 ml) yellow asafoetida powder
• 1/2 teaspoon (2 ml) turmeric
• 1/2 teaspoon (2 ml) ground coriander
• 1 1/2 teaspoons (7 ml) salt
1. Place moderate oil in a wok or frying pan. When hot, add the potatoes and stir fry for about 10 minutes. Then add the eggplant and continue to stir-fry for another 10 minutes until both potatoes and eggplant are sufficiently cooked. Remove and repeat with the plantains.
4. Heat 1 tablespoon (20 ml) oil over moderate heat in a heavy 3-litre/quart saucepan. Saute the cumin seeds until golden brown. Add the chilies, asafoetida, and turmeric. Stir momentarily; then add the, salt, and ground coriander.
5. Add the potatoes, eggplant cubes, plantains and pieces of tofu (feel free to cook the tofu in the same way you did the vegetables). Take care not to crush the eggplant. . The eggplant should be soft but not mushy. Stir sufficiently until well mixed. Serve hot.